Summary Tables of Texas Adult Education Content Standards & Benchmarks
Created by M.J. Ochoa, Far West GREAT Center
July 2008 (revised January 2009)
ABE/ASE CONTENT STANDARDS
LEVEL 3 – LOW INTERMEDIATE BASIC EDUCATION
|READ WITH UNDERSTANDING
• Determine the purpose for reading.
|CONVEY IDEAS IN WRITING
• Determine the purpose for communicating.
|USE MATH TO SOLVE PROBLEMS AND COMMUNICATE
• Understand, interpret, and work with pictures, numbers and symbolic information.
Example: Reading a poster about minimum wage, citizenship procedures or housing rental ads.
Decode and Recognize Words
• Drawing on content knowledge and vocabulary,
• Adjusting reading pace, and
• Recognizing and interpreting contractions.
Example: Contractions: won't – will not
Example: “I was by myself.”
Example: Answering questions related to passage.
Example: Explain meaning of song lyrics.
Analyze and Organize Information
Example: Scan newspaper for specific purpose.
Example: Prepare fliers for advertising job skills such as housekeeping.
Example: Plan to write an e-mail to company.
• Appropriately using basic text structure of simple steps / instructions / commands or a few short, well-linked paragraphs.
Example: Write a paragraph with a main idea and several supporting details.
• The coherence and progression of ideas by adding, deleting, combining and rearranging sentences,
• Grammar (simple tense agreement), and
• Sentence structure (compound and some complex sentences).
• Punctuation: commas in a series,
• Capitalization: titles, magazines, names of organization, and
• Language usage: Consistent verb tense, regular plurals, adverbs, adjectives, articles pronouns in the possessive, object and demonstrative forms and prepositions.
Recognize and Compare Numbers
Example: given 0.1, 0.2, 0.02, 0.001, order the decimal from greatest to least.
Number Line and Grids
Example: Plot age and weight of their children on a growth chart.
Application of Mathematical Operations
Example: Balance a checking account.
Example: How much change would you get back if you buy a $29.95 money order from a $50.00 bill?
Example: Which tool would you use to measure the number of feet of baseboard that will be needed for a room?
Area, Perimeters, and Angles
Example: Find a right angle and an acute angle within the classroom.
Using Ratios, Proportions, and Percents
Example: What is the ratio of males to females in the classroom?
Graphs and Charts
Example: Choose a phone plan by comparing rates and constant costs.
Order of Operations and Linear Equations
Example: 10 – 2 * 3 + 7 + 12 ÷ 6 = ?
Patterns and Sequences
Example: 3, 5, 7, 9, 11…
Rounding and Estimation